A New Certification for Next Generation Self-Balancing Scooters (“Hoverboards”)
What is Underwriter's Laboratories?
What is UL 2272?
- Overcharge Test
- Short Circuit Test
- Over discharge Test
- 20mm End Product Flame (Test that determines flame resistance.)
- Temperature Test (Determines the temperature of a product when it fails to function)
- Imbalanced Charging Test
- Dielectric Voltage Test
- Isolation Resistance Test (Testing Isolation Transformer.)
- Water Exposer Test
- Thermal Cycling Test (Testing the effects of extreme differential temperature change.)
- Label Performance Test (Comparing products against other leading brands.)
- Strain Relief Tests
- Motor Overload Test
- Motor Locked Rotor
- Vibration Test
- Shock Test
- Crash Test
- Drop Test
- Mold Stress Test
In order to properly identify what products are UL 2272 certified, on the unit, look for the UL certified holographic Sticker as shown below.
Sample UL Markings
UL Listings Online and Where to Find Them
HoverboardX's UL Listing which can be found here.
Now even with markings on hoverboards, how does one check the authenticity of the company on the hoverboard? The easiest way to check is via http://www.ul.com/database, using the UL category code FKIS. For your specific model, input the File number (Number starts with E followed by a string of digits) and if it is listed, the manufacturer should show up in the listing.
What should I do to stay safe?
- Keep the hoverboard away from flammable materials while charging
- Follow the manufacturer's recommended charging times. Do not overcharge, remember to unplug the unit after charging.
- Use the only the designated charger for the unit.
- Follow all manufacturer-recommended safety guidelines, including wearing recommended personal protective gear.